Text Size   - | +

Know your rights. Know how to respond.

Filing A Complaint

Filing A Discrimination Complaint.

As the charging party, you should:

  1. Read the discrimination complaint carefully and be sure the charge includes all the alleged unlawful acts
  2. If you do not understand something, ask to have the information explained to you in detail
  3. If the complaint is not completely accurate, make sure it is corrected before signing
  4. Give the Department your correct address and telephone number
  5. If you change your address or phone number, immediately contact the Department and give your new information – if the Department cannot locate you, your case may be dismissed
  6. During the interview, give the Department the name, address, and telephone number of a relative, friend or person who will always know how to contact you
  7. If available, pursue other remedies; e.g., through your employer’s Affirmative Action plan, personnel review proceedings or union grievance proceedings

As the charging party, you are responsible for:

  1. Notifying the Department if you move or change phone numbers – if we cannot find you, your case will more than likely be dismissed
  2. Cooperating with the investigator assigned to your case, including providing the names, addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses with knowledge of the facts; if the witnesses move you may be asked to help locate them
  3. Seeking other work if you have been denied employment or discharged from employment, and keeping records of where and when you applied; failure to seek employment or keep records may decrease any back pay you might otherwise receive
  4. Appearing at depositions, if necessary, at which time you would be asked to give sworn testimony.  Failure to appear may result in the dismissal of your charge
  5. Appearing at a public hearing, if held, at which time you would be required to give sworn testimony and answer questions asked by the Respondent’s attorney.  Failure to appear may result in the dismissal of your charge

As the charging party, you may:

  1. Retain a private attorney to represent you; however, a person does not need an attorney to file a complaint with the Department. 
  2. Initiate a complaint Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., or anytime online.

The Department has cooperative agreements with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) which prevents the duplication of effort in filing and processing a charge when there is common jurisdiction. Where federal and local laws differ, the charge is automatically referred to the most appropriate agency.

Retaliation Is Illegal.

If anyone takes any action against you because you opposed an unlawful practice, filed a complaint, furnished information to or assisted the Omaha Human Rights and Relations Department, you should contact the Department immediately.

Know Your Rights. Know How To Respond.

The City of Omaha Human Rights and Relations Department (OHRRD) investigates complaints of discrimination in the areas of Employment, Housing and Public Accommodation.

A person wishing to file a charge should:

  • Be prepared to present specific facts about the alleged act(s) of discrimination
  • Keep records and documents about the complaint, such as applications, notices and the like
  • Keep the OHRRD updated about changes of address

If you would like to file a complaint, you may:

Call us at:

Phone: 402-444-5055
Fax: 402-444-5058
TTY: 402-444-5031

Visit us at:

Omaha Douglas Civic Center
1819 Farnam St., Suite 502
Omaha Nebraska 68183

Connect with us online at:


Fairness shouldn't be a fairy tail. Discrimination happens don't ignore it. Call 402-444-5055