Text Size   - | +

Know your rights. Know how to respond.

public accommodation discrimination happens

What Is Public Accommodation Discrimination?

Section 13-84 of the Omaha Municipal Code makes it illegal to either deny a person access or to treat them unequally in a place of public accommodation because of their:

  • Race
  • Creed
  • National Origin
  • Age
  • Religion
  • Disability
  • Color
  • Sexual Orientation *
  • Sex
  • Marital Status
  • Gender Identity *

Public accommodations are facilities whose goods, services or premises are sold or made available to the public.

Examples include:

  • Restaurants, snack bars, and soda fountains
  • Hotels, motels, and inns
  • Retail stores and shopping centers
  • Bars and nightclubs
  • Museums, theaters, concert halls, and stadiums
  • Parks and campsites
  • Bus stations, taxi stands, and airport terminals
  • Barbershops and beauty parlors
  • Swimming pools, gyms, and health clubs
  • Hospitals, clinics, and convalescent homes
  • Professional offices of healthcare providers
  • Mortuaries and undertaking establishments

The law prohibits persons from aiding or inciting others to engage in discriminatory practices. It also protects persons from retaliation when they oppose a discriminatory practice or attempt to comply.

The law does not apply to the provisions of separate facilities for females and males to protect their personal rights of privacy (such as restrooms, locker rooms or dressing rooms in a store).

* Exceptions exist for places of public accommodation owned by or operated on behalf of a religious organization.

What Are Some Examples Of Public Accommodation Discrimination?

Instances of public accommodation discrimination include, but are not limited to, such things as:

  • A nightclub or theater won’t let you in because it’s “full,” but you see people of other races allowed in after you were turned away.
  • You are not served at a restaurant because you are a person with a mental or physical disability.
  • A store or restaurant gives discounts to people of the opposite sex, but you still have to pay full price.
  • You are refused service at a hospital because you are (or are regarded as) HIV-positive.

 How Do I File A Public Accommodation Complaint?

Anyone who believes they are a victim of discrimination in public accommodations can file a complaint, at no cost, with the City of Omaha Human Rights and Relations Department (OHRRD). A person does not need an attorney to file a complaint or be represented through the OHRRD’s investigation or hearing procedures. However, individuals do have the right to be represented, at their own expense, if they so choose.

Complaints must be filed within 180 days after the alleged act of discrimination occurred.

A person wishing to file a charge should:

  • Be prepared to present specific facts about the alleged act(s) of discrimination
  • Provide documents, if any, that substantiate charges made in the complaint
  • Keep the OHRRD updated about changes of address

If you would like to file a complaint, you may:

Call us at:

Phone: 402-444-5055
Fax: 402-444-5058
TTY: 402-444-5031

Visit us at:

Omaha Douglas Civic Center
1819 Farnam St., Suite 502
Omaha Nebraska 68183

Connect with us online:


Fairness shouldn't be a fairy tail. Discrimination happens don't ignore it. Call 402-444-5055